Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Working on Gas Insert
Source: Flickr


Carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for at least 400 accidental deaths and over 5,000 people are treated in hospital emergency rooms per year.
Unfortunately, carbon monoxide poisoning is often misdiagnosed as flu, food poisoning, allergy/asthma or chronic fatigue syndrome.
Children, the elderly, individuals with respiratory problems and pets are at risk, even at low levels.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are; headaches, nausea, drowsiness, vomiting, tiredness, pain, cramps and sleep disturbance.
Some people experience headaches and dizziness for almost 2 years prior to carbon monoxide poisoning diagnosis.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is highly toxic, making it impossible to detect with our senses.
Carbon monoxide is produced by incomplete combustion in household appliances like furnaces, boilers, water heaters, stoves, ovens, fireplaces as well as well as automobiles.
Tips to protect yourself and your loved ones:
1) Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home
2) Have your appliances (boilers, furnaces, stoves, water heater, fireplaces) checked and serviced by a reputable gas company.
Be sure they are equipped with a professional carbon monoxide analyzer.
If they tell you they don’t have one, find another company!
3 Do not use unvented appliances (kerosene heaters, barbecue grilles) in the house.
4) If you have a garage that is attached to your home click here.
5) Any time you strengthen the insulation properties or add a ventilation fan you should have your appliances checked to ensure the upgrades have not compromised the ability of the appliances to safely draft the combustion products from the house.
By following the above guidelines, the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning can be significantly reduced.